Thursday, April 28, 2011
1) My husband.
2) My family.
3) My friends.
4) BLT sandwiches.
Really, Stacie? A blog about BLT sandwiches? I know, I know. It's a sandwich, but I love it and I made one for dinner recently and haven't gotten it off my mind. For those of you that don't know what a BLT consists of, it has 5 ingredients: toast, mayonnaise, and of course, bacon, lettuce, and tomato (hence the name BLT). Bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches are pretty hard to mess up, so they are my "fallback" order when eating out at restaurants. (Note: Jason's Deli has unfortunately messed it up. Yuck.)
It's a simple sandwich, but people have tried to add other ingredients to it over the years. Everything from cheese to ranch dressing to fried eggs to peppers. The only ingredient that I have ever added and been okay with is avocado, known as the BLTA.
Even with all the crazy variations, the old traditional BLT is my favorite. Even better, is the homemade BLT with garden tomatoes and a healthy serving of mayonnaise. :) Here's a picture of my homemade BLT from the other night. It doesn't look as amazing, but it sure did taste good. Of course, there weren't garden tomatoes available, but we made do.
Call me dorky, but I did a little research on BLT's and I found out a few interesting facts. Here we go:
- The BLT is the second most popular sandwich in the United States (behind the ham sandwich) and the MOST popular sandwich in the UK.
- The first recipe for a BLT sandwich appeared in the 1903 edition of the Good Housekeeping Everyday Cookbook.
- BLT's are most popularly eaten during the summer, reducing the stockpiles of pork and causing a spike in pork prices towards the end of the season. That's a lot of bacon!
- Iceberg lettuce is the most common choice (and experts agree best choice) for the "L" part of the sandwich. It adds little flavor and lots of crunch!
- Former British Prime Minister, Tony Blair, named the BLT the "sandwich to unite all social classes." Talk about pressure for the BLT!
How about everyone else? Do you love BLT sandwiches? If not, what is your sandwich of choice?
Posted by Stacie at 3:36 PM